Spanish Heritage - End Madrid, Small Group
This 18-day guided tour takes you from Barcelona to Madrid - stopping at every charming town in between. Walk the narrow lanes of Barcelona’s Gothic Quarter with a Local Expert, weaving your way to the lively Las Ramblas, where street performers put on shows. Paella was created in Valencia, and you will indulge in the savory rice dish after a private demonstration from a local chef. Stomp your feet in Seville during a flamenco dance lesson, then relax as the professionals put on a private show for you and your fellow travelers. Walk across the 2,000-year-old Roman bridge in Cordoba, then meet a local historian at the city’s 8th Century mosque with a Christian cathedral inside it. In Madrid, walk with a Local Expert through the city’s Old Quarter to the Prado Museum, where an art historian will reveal the stories behind the masterpieces of artists such as Goya and Titian.
- 6 Dinner with Wine (DW)
- 17 Breakfast (B)
- 1 Lunch with Wine (LW)
- Choose between two carefully selected activities
- Seville: Stroll through Barrio de Santa Cruz with your Local Expert to hear how the Jewish community has shaped the history of Seville.
- Seville: Explore Seville's top sights on a panoramic city tour with your Local Expert.
- Choose between two carefully selected activities
- Santiago de Compostela: Join a city tour with a Local Expert and visit Praza do Obradoiro to admire the cathedral facade festooned with architectural frills.
- Santiago de Compostela: Embark on a scenic walk on part of the Way of St. James with a Local Expert, through parks and gardens that transform with the seasons.
- : Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- : Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- : We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- : From time to time, your Travel Director will delight you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- : Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- : If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
- Valencia: Learn the authentic recipe of paella when you join a local chef for a Cooking Demonstration. Savour the flavours of this classic dish for dinner, washed down with a glass of Sangria, during your Highlight Dinner.
- Gijon: Meet Flor, a local of Gijón, for a delicious meal of locally sourced produce that she has prepared just for you.
- Barcelona: At a typical Catalan restaurant, savour a delicious Celebration Dinner that incorporates classic cooking with the freshest produce.
- Granada: Visit the famous Alhambra Palace and Generalife Gardens. While others wait in line, you'll be exploring accompanied by a Local Expert, keen to share insights into this Moorish landmark.
- Madrid: Witness the world's finest collection of Spanish paintings, plus an impressive international collection, as you tour the Prado Museum with an art historian.
- Barcelona: Dine at La Pau, an acclaimed restaurant for the quality of its seasonal menu and social impact. This social initiative generate quality employment to young people and guides them through their transition to adult life. This experience advances United Nations’ Sustainable Development 10: Reduced Inequality. La Pau gives a voice and life opportunity to young people who have been marginalised from the traditional educational and social systems.
- Seville: The Cristina Heeren Foundation aims to promote the teaching and conservation of flamenco and is a beneficiary of a TreadRight Foundation grant. Meet the students of the foundation, learn some basic flamenco steps, and then feel the passion as they perform an emotional show. The school enables students access to cultural education that otherwise may not have occurred. TreadRights sponsorship has helped students to complete their studies in advanced guitar, singing and dance. As students complete their training, they will carry on and safeguard the traditional flamenco dance, contributing to the protection of Andalusia and Spain’s cultural heritage. The Cristina Heeren Foundation advances UN Sustainable Development Goal 4: Quality Education and UN Sustainable Development Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.
- San Sebastián: Uncover the important maritime cultural heritage of the Basque country on a neighbourhood walking tour in the old harbour area.
- Pamplona: In Barcelona, join a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience during a visit to a biodynamic farm whose secrets have been handed down through four generations. Take in the views of Catalunya and taste the flavour of the valley 'Terroir' in the form of a sparkling wine. Sample this light refreshment and follow the process from the vine to your glass, learning about the unique sustainable methods employed. Sparkling wine is essential to Catalan culture, flowing freely during celebrations it is the perfect way to start your adventure into Catalunya. This experience contributes to UN Global Goal 12: Responsible Production and Consumption.
You'll meet new people, too. Whether you join us on your own, as a couple, or with friends and family, the small group that you travel with will share your pa ...
|1||Welcome to Barcelona|
|2||Barcelona, the City of Gaudí Relaxed Start|
|3||Along the coast to Valencia Relaxed Start|
|4||Exquisite Granada and Alhambra|
|5||A scenic drive to Seville|
|6||Seville, the City of Carmen Relaxed Start|
|9||Madrid at Leisure Relaxed Start|
|10||Through Rueda to Santiago|
|11||Santiago de Compostela Relaxed Start|
|12||The Costa Verde to Oviedo Relaxed Start|
|14||Bilbao and San Sebastián Relaxed Start|
|15||The Cantabrian Coast Relaxed Start|
|16||Pamplona and on to Barcelona|
|17||Barcelona at leisure Relaxed Start|